Get it right for women on site
Thanks for stepping up and being open to the idea of a future with more women in the trades. And thanks for giving it a red hot go!
Remember to check back with the Trade Careers Toolkit, these resources are free and available going forward.
So, what’s next?
Below is all the info you need to take the next steps in hiring women onto your team.
Why Hire Women
- Good eye for detail
- Great attitude
- She’ll be great with your customers
- She’ll offer a different perspective
- Lighter on the tools
- Women can change the workplace environment by lifting the quality of work
What do I need to do?
- Get your toilets sorted
- Look at how you are wording your job ads
- Do the work and reach a female market
- Get more info on flexible work options that support your business and your employees
- Get ready to be a supportive boss
Need more support?
Check out these organisations to help you out
- skills.org.nz case studies – An amazing magazine showcasing women who have chosen an extraordinary career path in the trades.
- BCITO – Women in Trades Workplace Stories – A collection of videos about women in construction.
- National Association of Women in Construction – Encourages women to pursue, establish and sustain successful careers in the construction industry.
- Ultimit – An initiative from Connexis encouraging, inspiring and supporting women into trade and technical roles in the infrastructure industry.
- Competenz – An Industry Training Organisation and helps people develop their skills on-the-job.
- Women in Trades – A nonprofit organisation promoting the trades as a viable career option to women and employers.
- SheFreeToBe – Helping create workplaces that work for women!
RED HOT TIP
There’s no better time! There’s funding available to cover the full cost of training until December 2022 via the government’s Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund.
Tools and Resources
Links to organisations, initiatives and training providers
There is so much great work going on in the Trades to support Women to start and continue successful.